Latest update from Prime Minister Scott Morrison as he addresses the media with the latest federal update on Australia’s coronavirus epidemic.
Scott Morrison has provided the latest coronavirus update following National Cabinet.
Mr Morrison started by reiterating that “this is a very difficult time” and acknowledged the devastation that has been felt by many Australians through job losses and financial stress as a result of the current restrictions put in place.
Key talking points:
- Rate of cases are falling, we are currently seeing a 9% daily increase.
- New technology has been put in place via Whatsapp
- Coronavirus App is now instore 482,000 app downloads
- Public gatherings to be reduced to 2 persons in public
- Stay home Australia!
Australia’s confirmed cases
Currently, Australia is nearing 4,000 confirmed cases.
The silver lining, however, shows the rate of cases is falling, we are currently at approximately 9% daily increase.
We will be working towards our next economic support to support businesses and individuals to ensure we are there on the other end.
Download the Australian Government Coronavirus App
You can use the Australian Government Coronavirus app to:
- Stay up to date with the official information and advice
- Important health advice to help stop the spread and stay healthy
- Get a quick snapshot of the current official status within Australia
- Check your symptoms if you are concerned about yourself or someone else
- Find relevant contact information
- Access updated information from the Australian Government
- Receive push notifications of urgent information and updates
Trusted, Australian information
All information in the Australian Government Coronavirus app is sourced from Australia’s leading health organisations and has undergone a quality assurance process so people can know it is safe, appropriate and relevant for Australians.
The Australian Government has also set up a WhatsApp campaign providing another platform for the public the connect and engage with official updates and advice from the government.
New public gathering rule
Rules have tightened up with public gatherings. Mr Morrison announced that no more than 2 people can gather in a public place. Families (household) can have more than 2 people in public though.
Each state and territory will have its own authority as to how they enforce this new public gathering rule.
Further to the announcement of public gathering numbers to be decreased – Mr Morrison has announced the closure of playgrounds, outside gyms, and skate parks.
It is strongly encouraged that you stay home except for the following:
- Shopping for food and essentials
- Medical care
- Exercise (with a maximum of 2 people)
- Work and education if you can’t learn remotely
- 70+ and those with chronic diseases should stay at home and self-isolate for their own protection
More to come.
Watch: Latest coronavirus update following National Cabinet.
More coronavirus coverage on SoPerth.com.au:
Latest Perth coronavirus news and advice.